Industrial Internet of Things (IIOT) connects Manufacturing and Technology sectors. Manufacturing sector includes different types of products, operations, components, people, and machines. Technology sector contains the various services such as Information Technology and products such as data analysis among other custom developed applications. IIOT increases the productivity. IIOT plays a vital role in increasing the economic benefits. The companies use different type of operational technologies. IIOT is done for producing goods from raw material to finished product, or products for build other products.
Industrial Internet of Things (IIOT) helps manufactures connect Operational Technology with Information Technology. This results in enabling the enterprise to merge operational and information departments.
Industrial Internet of Things (IIOT):
The Industrial Internet of Things (IIOT) is a network of artificial intelligence devices and objects. It collects huge number of data and then sends the data to cloud based services and then shares it with end user. As a result, IIOT enables connectivity among devices as well as transmission of data. Therefore, this will dramatically change the skill set required for the manufacturing industry
Artificial intelligence is going to play a major role in the manufacturing sector. Blue collar jobs are going to become white collar jobs.
Simple flow diagram about IIOT as follows:
Benefits of Industrial Internet of Things (IIOT):
- IIOT improves operational efficiency.
- IIOT leads to increase in productivity.
- Companies create a new business model using IIOT. As a result, improvement in economy happens.
- Using IIOT gradually decreases downtime for machines.
- Using IIOT leads to maximum utilization of resources.
- IIOT enhances workers safety.
Challenges of Industrial Internet of Things (IIOT):
- Security: Data exploitation of user’s happens due to poorly designed devices. As a result, it leads to data loss.
- Compatibility: Advanced sensors and networking capacity aren’t equipped with every machine. Therefore, there’s always a chance of compatibility issue.
- Connectivity: If networking devices are not connected properly, monitoring and tracking problems are created. Hence, connectivity is also a challenge.
- Handling unstructured data: Retrieving of unstructured data will be bit complex. Hence, handling the unstructured data is a challenge as well.
Industrial Internet of Things (IIOT) helps to boost economic development through the manufacturing sector and human resource development. Hence, IIOT is a futuristic technology. Therefore, now is the time to rethink products and services, reinvent business models, and retrain the workforce.